How to retain local value of variable?

I know, that in some cases non-buffered variables are lost. for example

static int MyVariable =0;

MyVariable =  (Condition ?   MyVariable+1  : MyVariable );

but in some cases i found (when something changed on chart or input or etc… without refreshing the chart F5 ), the value of that variable is nulled.

I was advised to use buffers for such variables:

MyVariable[i] =  (Condition ?   MyVariable[i+1] +1  : MyVariable[i+1] );

however i have tens of such repeated variables in my indicators/scripts, and i cant set buffers for those variables… is any other solution? for example, what if i use array, will it be nulled too?

static int MyAr[1];

MyAr[0]= (Condition ? MyAr[0]+1 : MyAr[0]);

any help?

If your variable unexpectedly gets lost or nulled, then you have a bug in your code.

Definitely a bug in your code.
however i have tens of such repeated variables in my indicators/scripts, and i cant set buffers for those variables
Of course you can. But if you don’t, you need their previous value(s) to do the current bar which is a problem with bar zero. Either buffers, only process bar zero once, or save and restore them when processing bar zero.

static int MyAr[1];

Why would define an array that only has one value?

MyAr[0]= (Condition ? MyAr[0]+1 : MyAr[0]);

Why would you write such code? if(condition) ++MyArray[0]; is simpler and 3 times faster.

thanks, i have a question, what means process bar zero only once? can you give me example, i dont understand what subject (about zeros…) you are talking about…

In my indicator, if i left it in live chart, and clicked refresh, then many values of such “one-time” variable values were lost, and that’s why i dont know what happened… If i re-attached indi to chart, then values were correct.

“Only once?” I gave you the link. Either only use opening values

const int   lookback    = ...;
   int      iBar  = Rates_total - MathMax(lookback, prev_calculated);
   while(iBar > 0){  --iBar;
      // calculate buffer[iBar]
   }
   #define  REDRAW_BAR_LAST false      // Don't redraw Bar zero.
   return   rates_total - REDRAW_BAR_LAST - iBar;

or never update bar zero

const int   lookback    = ...;
   int      iBar  = Rates_total - MathMax(lookback, prev_calculated);
   while(iBar > 1){  --iBar;
      // calculate buffer[iBar]
   }
   #define  REDRAW_BAR_LAST false      // Don't draw Bar zero.
   return   rates_total - REDRAW_BAR_LAST - iBar;

Variables are not lost. If prev_calculated is zero, you must initialize them, you are not. Your code is broken, fix your broken code.

mmm… you can also copy your mq4 content, and paste here (click SRC ) :slight_smile: