Coding a multicurrency strategy

Dear All

i was trying a trading strategy to buy or sell all the USD Currency pairs together, i only check the daily strength of the USD, then i take decision to buy or sell (open 7 positions), then i check after so many hours, sometimes waiting for days looking for total positive profit after that i close all the 7 pairs together, after so many testing on demo account i realized it worth studying trying i didn’t lost any of trials so far.

when the dollar strength is high i open sell, and vise versa. (same lot size)

i know this system can’t be tested (multi-currencies) so my questions are:

1- is there any better way for deciding whether to buy or sell (other than currency strength meter?

2- are these profitable testing is the case or is it just by accident (luck) am still making profit?

best of luck for all

Surely you can test multicurrency expert advisers, and experiment for getting answers for your questions 1 and 2.

Dear lgrocutt1t

thanks a lot for reply, can you explain to me how to back test multi currency ea

Multiple currency trading is no problem via EA, I regularly monitor and trade multiple currencies from a single MT4 chart.

1- is there any better way for deciding whether to buy or sell (other than currency strength meter?

That depends entirely on your personal trading strategy. If a strength meter is part of your strategy and it works for you, why change it?

2- are these profitable testing is the case or is it just by accident (luck) am still making profit?

Again, That depends entirely on your personal trading strategy.

Markets change over time and something that works right now might not work in the future.

In MT5, backtesting of multicurrency EAs does not differ from standard backtestings: the tester supports this feature natively.

All you need is to obtain/code a EA which will issue orders in different symbols. The tester will automatically download data for the symbols being used, open charts, and execute trades. Of course, finally you’ll get a report with multiple symbols.

Multi-Currency Expert Advisors in MT5 - backtesting and optimization

The threads/posts

• Buying or Selling all 7 pairs - the thread with the explanation.
  • Multi-Currency Expert Advisors the post with the examples of backtesting/optimization

The articles

Documentation

• MetaTrader 5 Help → Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots → Optimization Types - All Symbols Selected in Market Watch
  • MetaTrader 5 Help → Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots → Strategy Testing - Multi-Currency Expert Advisors
  • MetaTrader 5 Help - Trading Platform — User Manual

Dear you all, thanks a lot the post was very informative, am using MT4 on live account, i will open demo account running mt5, i have ea that can open sell or buy or both for 7 currencies somebody coded for me. i will try it and check the report

Multi Symbol Chart - indicator for MetaTrader 5

The indicator plots candlestick formations for four symbols in one separate window.

It can be altered easily to show more or fewer symbols.

Of course it can. Just not in MT 4 . But you didn’t post in that forum.

Hi Carson,

I liked your idea of trading multiple currency. I also tried the same for couple of days in demo account and luckily I also got the profit every single time. Since I have done the testing just for couple of days not sure if it will work in the long run.

Are you still trading this strategy? Does it really work in the long run?